554 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters

Gerd v. Egidy lists at egidy.de
Thu Jun 15 17:56:27 EDT 2006

Hi,

> relay=/raid1/imapconfig/socket/lmtp[/imap
> config/socket/lmtp], delay=0, status=bounced
> (host /imapconfig/socket/lmtp[/raid1/imapconfig/socket/lmtp] said: 554
> 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters (in reply to end of DATA command))
>
> Is there an option to tell the imapd to be not so picky about RFC's and
> accept messages with NUL character?

This would break IMAP as the clients are not expecting NULs.

The solution is not to accept such mail or to strip the NUL before delivering
to cyrus.

I'm not sure what MTA you are using, but the log message looks very
postfix-ish to me. The message_reject_characters and message_strip_characters
options are what you are looking for. They are available in postfix 2.3 or as
patch for 2.2. If you are not using postfix you have to look for a similar
solution for your MTA.

Kind regards,

Gerd