Cyrus unhappiness

former03 | Baltasar Cevc baltasar.cevc at former03.de
Wed Jun 14 17:31:31 EDT 2006

Hi David,

On 14.06.2006, at 22:41, David Korpiewski wrote:

> My cyrus installation is unhappy.  Seems the LMTPD won't stay running.
> To better understand why this little daemon won't run, can someone
> point me to some good information to understand the interaction here:
>
> Postfix accepts email -> cyrus puts it into a mailbox.
>
> Between that is something that goes like:
>
> Postfix -> lmtpd -> cyrus deliver -> into mailbox
>
> However, since I don't truly understand how this all works and didn't
> seem to find any good docs, I'm at a loss to explain why I keep
> getting these errors while receiving email:
>
> Jun 14 16:34:44 lmc1 postfix/pipe[4018]: 9E111E7656:
> to=<cyrus at mail-dev.cs.umass.edu>, relay=cyrus, delay=2960,
> status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: couldn't connect
> to lmtpd: Connection refused_ 421 4.3.0 deliver: couldn't connect to
> lmtpd_ )
>
> The lmtpd daemon won't start when you run it by hand.  It just
> instantly dies.  When you restart the server, it still won't run.
You can't run the cyrus services by hand (they're made to run under the
cyrus master only). You can somehow include a debugger for one of the
services, I'd try that on lmtp. Are you sure that you've preforked a
lmtpd? The error message you've sent could also result from 1) user id
problems (postfix piping as nobody, cyrus running as cyrus for exemple)
or 2) dissension about where the lmtp socket is between deliver and
lmtpd.

BTW: when you've fixed this problem, you may want to consider using
postfix's lmtp client as it will probably be faster (one fork less,
because in your current setup, you'll fork pipe which will call the
deliver program).

Hope that helps,
Baltasar

_____ former 03 gmbh