Looking for a *good* X based GUI IMAP client for Cyrus IMAP ...

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Tue Jun 13 02:53:41 EDT 2006

Hi,

Murray Trainer wrote:
>>> Any comment on Mozilla Thuderbird?
>>>
>> My big beef against GUI/Unix clients is that there doesn't appear to be
>> any way of 'auto-subscribing' to all folders ...
>>

> Evolution isn't perfect but it can do that.  There is a "show only subscribed folders" button that is on by default but you can turn it off.

That I can do with Thunderbird too: in the advanced account settings you
have "show only subscribed folders" (literally ;-))...

I'm quite happy with Thunderbird, running it mostly (not only) under
Windows, with some plugins (e.g. PGP). It really is my friend serving me
over 6G of personal IMAP folders and a bunch of shared folders. In fact,
it is our default (and only 'supported') client at the Office, so we
have over 60 people using it (total of 265G of mail) where mail is one
of our most important tools (as you can see by the volume).

It's quite snappy to me! I never heard anyone complain that it is slow
(where people do about Outlook, especially with large folders which
could not be opened at all in Outlook - for large folders sure pine is
faster). I only find TB slow with GPRS connections or something, but
then even SSH is slow. And it's not the GUI then, but the connection.
Maybe this is my experience because I'm using it on Windows mostly.

I like the IMAP support of TB way better then for instance the Outlook
ones, or Pegasus, or... there were some problems in the past that are
mostly solved today. And one important thing (security-wise) for us is
that it can do client-certificates for IMAP-SSL too, plus a lot more...

FWIW,

Paul