lmtpd authentication with Unix socket ?

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Fri Jun 9 14:12:27 EDT 2006

Hi...

I'm coming back on an old issue I'm having with cyrus-imapd.
I'm using Unix socket lmtpd delivery bur from time to time (around 50
times per day), I get the following in my logs :

sm-mta[19929]: k59Be9O3015229: to=<user at domain.tld>, delay=00:00:03,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrusv2, pri=86427, relay=localhost, dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: 430 Authentication required

And the message gets stuck until the next mail queue flush.

# grep lmtp /etc/cyrus.conf

   lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

If I change the cmd to "lmtpd -a", then the error disappears but as far
as I know, authentication should only be checked when using Internet
socket and not Unix.

Any idea how I could debug this ?
For info, this is cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 (with kerberos and drac support)
under OpenBSD-3.9-stable.
Any hints appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,