problems with Solaris UFS limits

Didi Rieder adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at
Thu Jun 1 03:36:36 EDT 2006

Hi,

we are running cyrus 2.2.13 on a Solaris 9 machine using ufs as file
system. The server is configured with just one partiton
(partition-default). The size of the partition-default filesystem is
~500G. We are about reaching its limits, there for we would like to
move to a larger storage (1.5T) on a SAN.
Unfortunately the Solaris ufs supports just about 1 million inodes /
TB when the filesystem is >= 1TB, which of course is not enough for a
mail spool.
This means we can not just use a single partition but have to use
several partitions with filesystems < 1TB.

We are currently using a simple hashed mailspool (a..z). New users are
created automatically via the autocreate-patch.

Questions:
Is it possible to automatically distribute the mailboxes evenly on 3
different partitions?
How can this be achieved?
Is there a way that newly created users are also automatically
distributed on the different partitions?

Thanks for any hint

   Didi

p.s: We know that we could use the veritas fs or wait for ZFS in order
to escape the ufs limits, but thats not an option right now.

--
Didi Rieder
adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at
PGPKey ID: 3431D0B0