High availability email server...

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Jul 31 14:03:53 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 15:33 -0700, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Rich Graves wrote:
>
> > My question: So is *anyone* here happy with Cyrus on ext3? We're a small
> > site, only 3200 users, 246GB mail. I'd really rather not try anything more
> > exotic for supportability reasons, but I'm getting worried that our planned
> > move from Solaris 9/VxFS to RHEL4/ext3 on significantly newer and faster
> > hardware is going to be a downgrade.
>
> We run Cyrus on ext3 under Debian Linux without complaints here.  We have
> approximately 35000 mailboxes/users split between 2 backend servers.
> Each backend server is connected to an EMC Cx500 SAN (no shared access or
> anything fancy) with 800GB of mail spool each.  The commands used to build
> the filesystems were:
>
>    mkfs -t ext3 -j -m 1 -O dir_index /dev/sdb1
>    tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/sdb1
>
> The filesystem is mounted like so:
>
>    /dev/sdb1    /private     ext3    defaults,data=ordered,noatime   0   2
>
> If you want more information, just ask.  :)

How big is your journal?  I have instructions for determining the size
here, because it's non-obvious:

http://nakedape.cc/wiki/PlatformNotes_2fLinuxNotes

(BTW, you can drop the 'defaults' from the entry in your fstab;
'defaults' exists to fill the column in the table when nothing else is
there.)

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>