High availability email server...

Andrew Laurence atlauren at mac.com
Mon Jul 31 12:04:31 EDT 2006

At 11:49 PM +0200 7/28/06, Pascal Gienger wrote:
>In the Apple case we need to distinguish Apple XSAN Harddisk chassis
>and the XSAN software. The XSAN software seem to give you a special
>filesystem for SAN issues (at least I read this on their webpage).

Let me dissect this a bit.

The Xserve RAID is Apple's RAID appliance box, two
non-redundant/failover 7-disk controllers in one box (14 disks
total), each with FC connectors connecting to (whatever).  The
administrative application is a Java app.  No Mac OS necessary, no
special Apple goo.  A group here is using it as raw storage for
VMWare (VMFS).

Xsan is Apple's licensed implementation of ADIC's StorNext file
system.  It's its own file system, *NOT* HFS+.  StorNext requires a
dedicated, private Ethernet network for communicating metadata
information between the nodes and controllers.  This topology is
where it falls down with lots of little files -- lots of little files
means more metadata flying between the nodes and controllers; it's
inherent to the StorNext design.  On the flip side, Apple's Xsan
product is a very cheap way to implement a StorNext controller;
Apple's client licenses are (relatively) cheap as well, but ADIC will
happily sell clients for Linux/AIX/Solarix/other that all work with
Xsan.

--
Andrew Laurence
atlauren at uci.edu