Performance and cheap storage

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:10:01 EDT 2006

Our mail store is on a LeftHand SAN, which we bought this summer.  The
speed is pretty good, even on just a GigE network, and it's certainly
a helluva lot cheaper than FC stuff.  Downsides include the lack of an
integrated fencing device for failover (most FC switches are fencing
devices), and the general lack of clue in LeftHand's frontline
support.  Upsides include all of the cash that's still in our
pocketses.

Luckily, I don't think that a kernel-level implementation of iSCSI
will be a big drawback, since Cyrus IMAP (and IMAP servers in general)
aren't processor-bound.  We'll run into I/O problems long before we
run out of oomph to drive iSCSI and Cyrus IMAP.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University