High availability email server...

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:05:57 EDT 2006

Michael--

One of the major problems you'd run into is /var/lib/imap, the config
directory.  It contains, among other things, a Berkeley DB of
information about the mail store.  GFS, Lustre, and other cluster
filesystems do file-level locking; in order to properly read and write
to the BDB backend, you'd need DB-level locking, which is not possible
from a filesystem.  If you tried putting /var/lib/imap on shared
storage, you'd have data corruption and loss in no time.

IMAP is also a stateful connection; depending on how you set up your
cluster, some clients might not handle it gracefully (e.g., Pine).

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University