High availability email server...

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Jul 28 09:11:39 EDT 2006

Chad--

We've put /var/lib/imap and /var/spool/imap on a SAN and have two
machines -- one active, and one hot backup.  If the active server
fails, the other mounts the storage and takes over.  This is not yet
in production, but it's a pretty simple setup and can be done without
running any bleeding edge software, and it appears that it will work
fine.  There's no need to use a SAN, either -- you could share your
mail storage out via NFS with the same effect.

We're going production with this in mid-August; if you'd like to know
how everything goes, drop me a note in a month or so.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University