Performance and cheap storage

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Sun Jul 23 13:28:10 EDT 2006

On 23 Jul 2006, at 11:00, Robert Banz wrote:
> The second thing to consider is that the performance on modern SATA
> drives, if you're using a driver for the SATA interface that
> supports advanced features such as command queueing, are going to
> show you performance akin to SCSI drives -- even more so if you
> place them behind a 'quality' RAID subsystem that provides read/
> write caching.

Another big win is providing independent IO channels for the
{configdirectory} and the mail store {partition}.  For instance, if
you're using an external SATA RAID for the {partition}, then using
the drives in the head for {configdirectory} can be a big win.  On
our systems, about 30% of our IO is to {configdirectory}.

:wes