Replication is broken with modseq issue in 2.3.6

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 6 21:03:48 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:56:45 -0400, "Wesley Craig" <wes at umich.edu> said:
> I was tracking a very similar issue with xfer between 2.2 and 2.3.6.
> xfer'ing vanilla 2.2.12 mailboxes to 2.3.6 seems to work fine, and
> xfer'ing a 2.3.6 mailbox to 2.2.12 also more or less works
> (permissions are broken since 2.3.6 blindly uses rfc 4314 ACLs rather
> than paying attention to whether the target backend supports only
> legacy ACLs).  However, xfer'ing this twice xfer'd mailbox back from
> 2.2 to 2.3.6 results in the modseq 0 problem: 2.2.x retains the
> larger index records, initialized to 0.
>
> Thanks for sharing your fixes, they will be invaluable to me.

Fantastic - glad I could help.  It's always nicer when changes don't
break backwards compatibility.

We don't use xfer - we do something disgusting with rsync instead
because it's much faster and leaves the user's mailbox out of action
for a lot shorter time.

We also do the wrong thing with sieve scripts (a file called
defaultbc rather than a symlink) which bit us with replication
- but all our sieve scripts are built from the database, so
they were easy to fix.  We'll be changing to do the right thing
because relying on undocumented behaviour is a stupid long-term
strategy.

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana