MUPDATE push

Neil Fritz ncf at asu.edu
Tue Feb 28 15:58:28 EST 2006

Hi all,

We're currently working on upgrading our current IMAP system, which
consists of two independent Cyrus 2.1.11 (recompiled using
--enable-murder). We're moving to a configuration with two frontend
machines (dual 3GHz 64-bit AMD/7GB ram), two backend machines (dual 3GHz
64-bit AMD/16GB ram), and a MUPDATE machine (2x1.0GHz PIII/2GB ram), all
running Cyrus IMAP 2.2.12.  All authentication to the MUPDATE server is
done using PLAIN on a separate NIC (10.10 subnet).  The existing IMAP
servers are running Solaris 8; the new system will be running RHEL AS3
We brought the existing backends into the murder this weekend and
started a ctl_mboxlist -m to start populating the MUPDATE server.
Unfortunately we ran into some I/O issues and exhausted out maintenance
window, so we had to back out.

I'm curious what some other installation's experiences have been with
the initial MUPDATE load. I'm OK with starting the process and letting
it run for the weekend if there will be minimal user impact. After about
90 minutes we has pushed approx 9,000 activates to MUPDATE. We have
around 60,000 user inboxes and 130,000 additional user mailboxes. I'm
hoping there is some tweak or trick someone has that would speed this
load process up a bit. My main concern is user impact if we have to
leave this running all weekend. It would be nice to get this done during
a maintenance window of 4-6 hours or so, but I'm doubtful that it can be
done.

I've toyed with the idea of creating a flat file that I would import on
the MUPDATE server and have developed a Perl script that should do the
trick.  Since we are bringing up a new environment, and then bringing
the old environment into the murder, this should just be a bunch of
Activates.  I'm hesitant to do this, just because I'd like to "do things
right," but worst case scenario, the script may be our answer.

Any ideas?

Neil C Fritz
Technology Support Analyst Sr
Arizona State University