Sieve vacation extension broken in 2.2.12?

James Ralston qralston+ml.info-cyrus at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 21 19:39:35 EST 2006

We are running Cyrus imapd 2.2.12, using the RPM package provided in
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4AS, which we rebuilt with the
SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file patch (backported from Cyrus CVS).
We're using sendmail 8.13.1.

We've been testing with this Sieve script:

    require [
        "reject",
        "vacation",
    ];

    if address :domain :is ["from"] ["example.com"] {
	reject "Rejection test.";
	stop;
    }

    vacation :days 5 :subject "annoying vacation message" text:
    I'm testing SIEVE vacation rules.

    Please excuse the annoying message.
    .
    ;

If someone at example.com sends mail to a user with this Sieve script
installed, that person will correctly receive the bounce message that
Sieve generates.

However, we've been completely unable to get Sieve to send vacation
mail messages.  It doesn't matter what address we use for testing or
what user account we put the Sieve script into; Sieve just never sends
any vacation mail messages.

I see absolutely no error indications or other problems.  All I see in
the logs (when logging at mail.debug) are some messages from lmtpunix,
and they appear to be normal.

On 2005-12-08, Andri Herumurti sent a message to info-cyrus describing
a suspiciously similar problem.

On 2005-12-21, markus markert also sent a message to info-cyrus
describing a suspiciously similar problem.

Can someone please confirm that the vacation extension is actually
functional in Cyrus 2.2.12?  Meaning, if you are running Cyrus 2.2.12,
can you put a vacation command in your Sieve script and have it
actually send the vacation mail messages?

(I'm interested in replies both from people who built Cyrus imapd from
the vanilla 2.2.12 tarball, and from people who are using the Red Hat
RPM.)

Thanks,
James