Delayed expunge ON by default?

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sat Feb 18 03:48:52 EST 2006

I'm using delayed expunge with the new 2.3.1 release and it's one of the
really nice new features. There are two reasons why I like it so much:

1) Backup and restore is not a very easy task with cyrus-imapd and we had
lot of troubles in the past if someone just deleted all messages in a
folder. Of course the newest backup has always been ~12 hours too old.
Another thing is if someone insists saying that he didn't get a mail and
you could only check the delivery logs and see it got deliverd. Now, one
will find the message in the expunge db and the message file in the
message store.

2) Webmailers like squirrelmail in certain configurations (usually "move
to trash" delete strategy) do a lot of expunge calls, in fact with every
single IMAP connection. Even a imapproxy does not help much here because
EXPUNGE can be quite slow with cyrus-imapd with very large mailboxes, not
LOGIN. Delayed expunge makes EXPUNGE go very fast and it a huge
performance gain.

My question: Did anybody using delayed expunge have any problem with it?

I plan to enable delayed expunge in my rpms by default. It will help those
people who ask the list what they can do after their boss deleted a very
important mail instead of reading it. Comments are welcome.

Simon