Upgrading 2.2.3 and 2.2.12 -> 2.3.1

Anthony Chavez acc at anthonychavez.org
Fri Feb 17 16:48:14 EST 2006

Hello, info-cyrus!

This weekend, I'm planning to upgrade 2 Cyrus imapd servers.

One (technically a migration) is running imapd 2.2.3 (BerkeleyDB 4.2.52)
on SuSE 9 and will be copied from a ReiserFS partition to ext2fs then to
UFS2 on FreeBSD 6.0.

The other is running 2.2.12 (BerkeleyDB 4.3.29) on FreeBSD 6.0 and the
store will not be moved (FreeBSD 6.0).

In either case, the target imapd version is 2.3.1, and we plan to simply
copy the configuration (/var/imap) and partitions (/var/spool/imap)
into place and "switch it on."

So far, I only see one problem with this approach: the fact that the
2.2.3 server is using BerkeleyDB 4.2.52 and the target is using 4.3.29.
So my first question is, how should I handle this?  Which databases will
need to be converted, how should I go about doing it, and which (if any)
can be skipped?

I've read through the changes since version 2.2.3, and I don't see
anything else that would affect us outright.  However, my second
question is, do any of you know otherwise?  Have there been any changes
to data structures or anything similar that could affect us?

It is imperative that I make this happen as smoothly as possible, as we
don't have a lot of time to spend on this this weekend, so any advice or
assistance any of you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Anthony Chavez                                 http://anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc at anthonychavez.org         jabber:acc at jabber.anthonychavez.org