Murder cluster questions

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 13 20:15:26 EST 2006

Brenden Conte wrote:
> I have some questions, mainly around murder and versions.
> We're looking to expand to a Murder cluster, but are still running 2.2
> versions of the software.  Obviously, i would like to use the latest
> version for any new installs, so I was wondering - both in the context
> of building the cluster as well as future upgrades - if there is a 'all
> same version' requirement (i.e. all servers must be upgraded at the same
> time) or whether the protocol was standard enough that it didn't matter
> (Between frontend and backends?  Between backends (i.e. moving a
> mailbox)? Master vs frontend vs backend?)
> Naturally, this question doesn't involve using "new" features not
> present in the older versions.

I don't believe that any changes to the MUPDATE protocol have been made
between 2.2 and 2.3, so upgrading single components *shouldn't* be a
problem.  However, given that the cyrus.index and cyrus.cache files
contain additional info in 2.3, I probably wouldn't move mailboxes from
2.3 backends to 2.2 backends.  Note that we haven't done a migration
such as this at CMU (yet) so what I've said is purely an educated guess.
  I haven't spent a lot of time thinking through all of the particulars.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer