Do I need idled on or not?

Richard Wohlstadter rwohlsta at watson.wustl.edu
Fri Feb 10 13:05:22 EST 2006

Andreas Hasenack wrote:

> Note that idled has nothing to do with IDLE support or not: IDLE is
> always there. The only difference is in the method: without the daemon,
> the check is done at some poll interval (default 60s IIRC).

Is the IDLE daemon more reliable than the polling?  I've noticed in
Thunderbird that IDLE is not very reliable.  Many times I've had folders
set to IDLE show 'x' new messages and when I click the folder there is
actually more new messages than shown in the count.  I did some sniffer
tests to see the polling in action and sometimes I'll see cyrus indicate
to thunderbird that a new message is there and thunderbird completely
ignores the message.  Maybe newer versions of thunderbird behave better
(I tested 2 releases ago) but if anyone else has seen this behavior I
was wondering if you tried IDLED daemon and it handled things better.

Rich Wohlstadter
Washington University of Saint Louis