SaslAuth + Mysql (SOLVED)

Vernon A. Fort vfort at provident-solutions.com
Wed Feb 8 17:04:00 EST 2006

I have posted a few messages to several groups lately concerning
crashing with "out of memory" errors.  The system would run for several
days and then just crash.  I think I found the problem and it wasn't
lmtpd or bitdefender or postfix or the number of concurrent messages..
It was the saslauthd not releasing its swap usage.

Saslauthd's memory usage would continue to grow (watching top with a
shift+m).  Once I restarted the daemon, the total swap usage would
shrink to 36k from 2GIG.  I added the FLAGS (-c -s 128 -t 30) to the
init script.  The setup:

    postfix + amavisd-new + clamav + cyrus-sasl + cyrus-imapd + mysql

Cyrus-imap is configured to use saslauthd - saslauthd is configured to
use pam and pam/imap is using the pam_mysql.

Again, the system would run fine for a few days and then crash.  I
discovered this by watching vmstat+top+iostat and noticed when 200+
messages came in at once, the system hardly swapped at all BUT the swap
USED still increased.  I watched the swap used grow to 3 GIG within 36
hours.

Adding the -c FLAG (credential caching) 'appears' to have solved the
problem.

Anyway - just posting a follow up in the event someone else has a
similar problem.

Vernon