SaslAuth + Mysql (SOLVED)

Vernon A. Fort vfort at
Wed Feb 8 17:04:00 EST 2006

I have posted a few messages to several groups lately concerning 
crashing with "out of memory" errors.  The system would run for several 
days and then just crash.  I think I found the problem and it wasn't 
lmtpd or bitdefender or postfix or the number of concurrent messages..  
It was the saslauthd not releasing its swap usage.

Saslauthd's memory usage would continue to grow (watching top with a 
shift+m).  Once I restarted the daemon, the total swap usage would 
shrink to 36k from 2GIG.  I added the FLAGS (-c -s 128 -t 30) to the 
init script.  The setup:

    postfix + amavisd-new + clamav + cyrus-sasl + cyrus-imapd + mysql

Cyrus-imap is configured to use saslauthd - saslauthd is configured to 
use pam and pam/imap is using the pam_mysql.

Again, the system would run fine for a few days and then crash.  I 
discovered this by watching vmstat+top+iostat and noticed when 200+ 
messages came in at once, the system hardly swapped at all BUT the swap 
USED still increased.  I watched the swap used grow to 3 GIG within 36 

Adding the -c FLAG (credential caching) 'appears' to have solved the 

Anyway - just posting a follow up in the event someone else has a 
similar problem.


More information about the Info-cyrus mailing list