Stop the "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Feb 8 14:21:11 EST 2006

Quoting Benjamin Adams <badams at ambrosiasw.com>:

> I get a lot of mail spoofing is here anyway I can stop this?
> Or see if make is really coming from my mail server?

Hi Ben,

It's kind of off-topic for this mailing list, and the answer is MTA
specific (you'd be probably much better off asking this on
your-MTA-of-choice mailing list or newsgroup).  It also greatly depends
on how your email servers are organized and what your users are allowed
or not allowed to do (and if you can cover your ass, excuse my french,
by telling "user was not allowed to do that").

In short, usually there's not much that you could do in general case.
Unlike the spam/virus message that triggered creation of MDN, the MDN
itself is perfectly valid looking email.  You might be able to use some
tricks to detect some MDN messages that are not triggered by emails
leaving your mail server, but not all of them (and you might end up
blocking valid MDN messagess too).