IMAP sync tool (rsync for IMAP)

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Dec 23 03:14:15 EST 2006

Florin Andrei wrote:

> Sort of like rsync for IMAP, if that makes sense.
>
> So far, the only tool I've found is imapsync:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/imapsync/

Seems to be working fine. It's recursive, it's smart (subsequent runs
don't download the old messages again, only the new messages), the
command-line switches are a rich set that's pretty much
self-explanatory. It's easy to do non-destructive tests. It's flexible
enough.

Downside: If you have very large messages on the source IMAP servers,
you better run the script on a machine with lots of RAM. On my system it
died repeatedly with "out of memory" when it was hitting a 32MB message
(on-disk size), and the system has 1GB RAM.
It's probably best to run it on a 3rd system, one that's separate from
both the source and the destination IMAP servers, otherwise unpleasant
things might happen if the script starts to gobble up RAM on the IMAP
server. Again, this 3rd system is best if it has lots of RAM if you
allow large messages on your source IMAP server.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/