Setup of Cyrus to work with virtual domain mail (imap) and NNTP service

Jesper K. Pedersen jkp at solnet.homeip.net
Sat Dec 9 16:09:20 EST 2006

Anyone have a working example of using Cyrus together with multiple
domains and nntp support - then I would love to hear about it.

I have not been able to find anything that helps me get my small news
service up and running.

I can connect to the news service, but listing groups fails.

My setup was done like this:

added a mailbox (had to be with domain or i got a "io error"

Manually added "user.netnews at famped.dk" with cyradm.
Created a newsgroup - called test (user.netnews.test at famped.dk)
Set acl's on it to "anyone post"

set the option in imap.conf

newsprefix: netnews at famped.dk
allownewnews: yes

Altered cyrus.conf to allow for nntp support.

Reloaded configuration (actually did a restart to be sure)

Logged in with my news client (Sylpheed) and got the welcome string:

rhea.solnet Cyrus NNTP v2.3.1-Invoca-RPM-2.3.1-2.6.fc5 server ready,
posting allowed
[21:57:52] NNTP> LIST
[21:57:52] NNTP< 215 List of newsgroups follows:

and then Sylpheed complains about "no newsgroups" lists.
I suspect that it doesnt get the groups I created.

Any ideas - howto's / tutorials or just general documentation that can
help?

Thank you
Jesper K. Pedersen