Possible sendmail misconfiguration to deliver to cyrus

Dave McCracken dcm at mccr.org
Mon Dec 4 12:22:10 EST 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 10:31 am, Todd Lyons wrote:
> As I see it, a more sendmailish solution would be to use a little
> sendmail-fu and make it so that sendmail checks for local user at smtp
> time, but delivers to cyrus at deliver time.  I don't have such fu, but
> I see now as a good enough time to start studying up on it as well as
> exploring the above option.

I also had that problem since most of the spam I was getting to my domain was
to nonexistent users.  I discovered sendmail has a local mailer flag that
indicates whether sendmail should check the recipient against local users at
smtp time.  The flag is 'w'.  My sendmail.mc has the following line:

define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_FLAGS', `A@/:|mw')dnl

where cyrusv2.m4 has the line:

_DEFIFNOT(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_FLAGS', `A@/:|m')

This solved my problem but it requires that I have a local machine account for
each cyrus user.  As a small domain that's not a problem for me, but others
might find it too restrictive.

Dave McCracken