DB4 downgrade

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Sat Dec 2 08:49:16 EST 2006

> Simon Matter wrote:
>>> Because of the sudden end-of-life of Fedora Core 4, I'm moving my mail
>>> server from FC4 to a CentOS 4.4 box.
>>>
>>> FC4 uses DB4 4.3.27.
>>>
>>> CentOS 4.4 uses DB4 4.2.52.
>>>
>>> What's the best way for me to downgrade the Cyrus DBs for this
>>> migration?
>>
>> Convert all BerkeleyDBs on the FC4 box to skiplist and then migrate to
>> the
>> new server/installation. Skiplist doesn't change from version to version
>> so you don't have that problem anymore.
>
> Sounds good.  It's sufficient just to use the "file" command to see
> which of the db files are already skiplist and which are Berkeley DB?

Yes, that should be okay. For me it looks like this:
[root at xxx imap]# file /var/lib/imap/*.db
/var/lib/imap/annotations.db:  Cyrus skiplist DB
/var/lib/imap/deliver.db:      Cyrus skiplist DB
/var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db:    Cyrus skiplist DB
/var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db: Cyrus skiplist DB

One more tip: You may want to remove all data from the db dirs because
there may still be some files from the BerkeleyDB and they can lead to
error messages, which are in fact not real cyrus errors. On such a
migratin I usually do this after rsyncing:
rm -rvf /var/lib/imap/db/* /var/lib/imap/db.*

Simon