timeouts when connecting to imap server

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Fri Dec 1 12:49:20 EST 2006

Timo Veith wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 30 November 2006 15:35 schrieb Jorey Bump:
>> Just a thought, but can you try switching to a 2.4.x kernel? The 2.6
>> series seems to suffer from gremlins like this once in a while.
>
> I am pretty sure that the master daemon is now running with a 350000 file
> desciptor limit. At least this is written to the log file.

Sorry, I meant networking gremlins in general, not the descriptor
problem. I run Slackware, and the default kernel is still 2.4.x. Once in
a while I set up a server with a 2.6.x kernel, but it never makes it out
of the punishment closet. YMMV.

> I started the master daemon with -D and export CYRUS_VERBOSE=1, but I saw
> no log messages that helped me. At least they don't sound critical to me.
> Is there anything I should be looking for?

The only thing I saw when troubleshooting my own problem was it always
seemed to affect users that had just received a message. I couldn't
verify that this was anything other than a coincidence (IOW, it was
nonreproducable).

> Oh and I tried it with the idle service disabled in cyrus.conf but it
> didn't make a difference. Isn't it enough to disable it there? Must I
> recompile it without the idled option? But I really would like to stay
> with idled enabled.

I still have idled running, it's just causing problems when the client
(mainly Thunderbird) attempts to use it. Other clients worked fine with
IDLE enabled.

> Could it be that the compile time optimazations are to be blamed? This is
> what I have used for gcc (3.3.6):
> CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"

I can only show you how I compile mine on Slackware:

./configure --prefix=/usr                \
     --with-bdb-libdir=/usr/lib           \
     --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/include/db4   \
     --enable-idled
  make depend
  make all CFLAGS=-O

BTW, SquirrelMail works extremely well on my own server after switching
to Cyrus IMAP. I don't think you're experiencing a client issue. You may
need to perform a packet capture and analyse the conversation between
server and client. This can be frustrating work when the error is
transient, though.