hardware recommendations for MURDER?

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Wed Aug 30 15:09:31 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 12:24 +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> How can I
> calculate how much CPU and memory I need for an average user with a
> maximum of 100 MB per mailbox and some larger mailboxes like 2 or 5 GB?

inactive users don't require much resources at all ...  it's really
impossible to tell, users are so different.  plan to be able to scale
without a redesign.

> Would you prefer a really fat system with 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB storage and
> two dual core Opterons or two separate systems with 500 GB storage, 2-4
> GB RAM and one dual core Opteron? I would tend to the latter one (two
> small systems should be more failsafe than one large, aren't they?).

no, two systems fail twice as often as one :-)

> So
> for the hardware I'm tending between a small DL360 with two big SCSI
> discs or a big DL385 with 6 drive bays.

I think my next generation setup will be something like replicating
pairs of Dell 2950 maxed out with SATA drives, and no SAN or cluster
software at all, only an IP level load balancer in front.  I'm following
the threads on replication with great interest...

--
Kjetil T.