deliver.db conversion to skiplist

Shelley Waltz shwaltz at cabm.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 29 11:22:08 EDT 2006

I have read many threads regarding issues with deliver.db being in Berkeley
DB format.  I am running cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-4 on Redhat AS3.  I have not
had any issues with deliver.db until last week.  I have about 200 accounts
with
most at 250MB, some at 500MB and a few at 1GB.

The issue started with messages as ...

relay=/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=40033,
status=deferred (conversation with
/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] timed out while
sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once)

Aug 24 10:50:33 chipmunk lmtpunix[18926]: DBERROR db4: 1382 lockers
Aug 24 10:50:33 chipmunk lmtpunix[18963]: executed
Aug 24 10:50:33 chipmunk lmtpunix[18963]: DBERROR: opening
/var/lib/imap/deliver.db: Cannot allocate memory
Aug 24 10:50:33 chipmunk lmtpunix[18963]: DBERROR: opening
/var/lib/imap/deliver.db: cyrusdb error
Aug 24 10:50:33 chipmunk lmtpunix[18963]: FATAL: lmtpd: unable to init
duplicate delivery database

A reboot did not fix the problem, but after I reconstructed the mailboxes
from a flatfile - it took 6 hours and then restarted everything, the issue
with lmtp refusing connections still existed.  Oddly, the issue corrected
itself about a hour later?

I've read that stopping the server and simply removing the deliver.db and
tls_connections.db (in Berkeley format) and then restarting will result in
no harm.  I also read that concverting a large Berkeley deliver.db(mine is
26MB) could take a long time ad result in a skiplist file of huge
proportions.

My question is - should I convert the deliver.db to skiplist?  If I simply
move it elsewhere and change the imapd.conf to use a deliver.db in skiplist
and restart, what is lost?  Surely this huge db contains information
necessary and useful to the message system?

Any illumination on this is appreciated.

S.Waltz

{ Shelley Waltz;
  Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine;
  Rutgers University/UMDNJ;
  679 Hoes Lane;
  Piscataway, NJ 08854;
  732 235 3346 }