sync_client stalls the rest of cyrus while 'no route to host'

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Tue Aug 29 11:12:30 EDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006, at 20:33, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> What else do you have that will kill it?

	4) xfer onto a replicating backend causes sync_client to exit
	8) renaming users causes sync_client to exit

In both of these, size and other load matters.

> We agree on the design-flaws front, and
> I'm seriously consider (as I said in another post) rewriting to
> be a bit more like mysql in the "multiple replicas possible"
> design and keeping the sync logs around for double-checking
> purposes.

The pushmail code look interesting.  I think this:

	5) xfer off a replicating backend doesn't remove data from the replica

is a bug, not a design flaw so much.  I think the xfer code is just
missing a sync_log call.  Probably a trivial fix, but I'm working on
#s 4&8 above.

> No transferring expunged messages matters only from a backup
> recovery point of view, and we already keep yet another backup[tm]

I'd like to eliminate the cost of our YAB[tm], but can't due to the
way that expunged messages are treated:

	3) xfer doesn't transfer expunged messages
	6) removing folders doesn't benefit from delayed expunge
	9) the IMAP rename command doesn't keep expunged messages

> Oh, and if real-time replication is running the "expunged" message
> seems to get itself to the replica before actually getting deleted
> most of the time.

And that would be almost good enough if the other flaws in delayed
expunge weren't there.

:wes