Problems authenticating using saslauthd w/LDAP

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Mon Aug 28 16:39:36 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've setup an IMAP server using  Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.3 which I've setup
before without a problem.  Authentication is handles through saslauthd.
When I use /etc/shadow as the authentication mechanism (-a shadow), my
test accounts log in just fine.  When, instead, I startup saslauthd
using LDAP (-a ldap), I get the famous "generic failure" error.  But at
the same time, when saslauthd is running with the -a ldap option,
testsaslauthd -u ,user -p <secret> returns an "OK" for the right
password and a "NO" for the wrong password.  That in itself should
validate the saslauthd.conf file, but I also compared it to the
saslauthd.conf file on another system which is working correctly.

I am confused.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

--