sync_client stalls the rest of cyrus while 'no route to host'

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 26 21:42:27 EDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 08:32:24PM -0400, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2006, at 16:22, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> >I don't know if this is a known issue: as soon as I enable replication
> >and the sync_client gets a "No route to host" from the replica, the
> >rest
> >of the cyrus startup seems to stall: no imap, no lmtp... just
> >because a
> >replica is unreachable. (In this case because iptables was to
> >restrictive on the replica ;-))
>
> Yes.  In our environment, we've moved sync_client to be started at
> the same run level as cyrus master, instead of having cyrus master
> start it.  That way, when sync_client dies (it dies, BTW, so you
> ought to be monitoring it, and the log, and sync_server), it's simple
> for an admin to restart it.

Though it is dying less as we discover bugs and patch them.  See
my post last night (au time) about the "three MAILBOX -> USER
promotions and you're out" issue.

That's the first thing that has killed sync_client in a while.

We also are nearly at the point where we'll be running a weekly
check of replication pairs: message counts, flags, etc.  Make
sure everything is up to date.

Bron.