mailboxes.db unreadable, recovery procedure?

!jeff!{InterVerse} jeff at InterVerse.com
Fri Aug 25 15:53:14 EDT 2006

Wes,

thanks for the response.  I still have the problem.

At 01:42 PM 8/25/2006, you wrote:
>What error are you getting that indicates that mailboxes.db is
>unreadable?

a bunch of places, but here's one:
sudo -u cyrus /usr/local/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -r -f user
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file

>I suspect that the backups will also be unreadable, due
>to the way they are made.  If they *are* readable, as the cyrus user:
>
>         ctl_mboxlist -d -f db.backup1/mailboxes.db > somefile.txt

%ctl_mboxlist -d -f db.backup1/mailboxes.db > somefile.txt
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file
%ctl_mboxlist -d -f db.backup2/mailboxes.db > somefile.txt
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file

>You'll want to examine "somefile.txt" to decide if it's more or less
>reasonable.  Then move mailboxes.db and the contents of db directory
>out of the way.  Run:
>
>         ctl_mboxlist -u < somefile.txt
>
>You'll probably want to run:
>
>         ctl_mboxlist -d
>
>again to see whether it worked.

OK, so that doesn't work.  Now what can I do?

>Also, the reconstruct -m thing is kind of misleading.  reconstruct is
>still available, and can be used to regenerate mailboxes.db from the
>contents of the cyrus spool area.  More or less :)

how do I use reconstruct to regenerate mailboxes.db from the contents of
the cyrus spool area?