mailboxes.db unreadable, recovery procedure?

!jeff!{InterVerse} jeff at InterVerse.com
Fri Aug 25 12:48:04 EDT 2006

Hi List,

I have a cyrus system with only about 20 users on it.  They have about 3
gigs of mail.

The mailboxes.db file is unreadable.  of course, reconstruct -m is
unavailable, in typical dougadamsian fashion.

I have seen recommendations to try to 'rebuild the db' using the
'db.backup1' or 'db.backup2' directories.  I have the dirs.  What specific
command (including flags) do I use to attempt that?

i have seen use 'ctl_cyrusdb -r' but I keep getting segmentation fault and
core dump.  I have tried that with and without my corrupted mailboxes.db
file in place.  what does that tell us?

Since it's such a small system, a backup the mail spool, reinstall,
recreate user accounts type of approach would work for me if that's the
simplest thing to do... or just a 'run this command to get a fresh
mailboxes file'... but I don't know how.

Can somebody please give me a step by step here?

TIA,
Jeff