2.3.7 replica with multiple partitions?

Tim Bannister Tim.Bannister at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 05:28:47 EDT 2006

We're intending to deploy a new Cyrus-based system using SAN storage and
relying on replication for backups; under normal circumstances, we will
take only partial backups of the master IMAP servers - omitting
/var/spool/imap

We've provisionally decided that each master IMAP server will have
several partitions, each around 250 GiB, and that we'll distribute users
across these. We'd like to replicate these to machines that are tuned
for good IO performance. Initial tests with 2.3.7 show replication
working, except that renaming a user to a different partition doesn't
have an effect on the replica. Other operations such as mail delivery
continue OK for a user that's moved to a different partition.

The obvious workarounds for this are:
 * give each replica instance a single default partition, probably 750GiB
 * use just one partition on each master
 * take an OOB copy of the mailboxes DB from the master and move users
   around on the slave to make them match

I'd at least like the option to be able to preserve partitioning when
replicating, but I haven't found it. If there's no such option then
what's the best way round this issue?

Replicas are Sun T2000, master servers are HP DL380 G4, storage is EMC
CX series. Each replica host will have two Cyrus instances (slave to 2
masters).

--
Tim Bannister
IT Services, The University of Manchester

e: Tim.Bannister at manchester.ac.uk
w: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/itservices