Deliver.db error: DBERROR db4:

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Aug 9 16:24:08 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 19:57 +0200, Rafael Alcalde wrote:
> I have found a lot of problems with all the databases from cyrus:
> deliver.db, etc.
>
> In /var/log/maillog we see:
>  DBERROR db4: Logging region out of memory; you may need to increase its
> size
>
> Aug  6 11:18:42 mail1 lmtpunix[27875]: DBERROR: opening
> /var/lib/imap/deliver.db: Cannot allocate memory

I'm working vaguely from memory, but I think it's something like this:

 o As root or cyrus, run 'db_stat -l -d /var/lib/imap/db' and look at
   the "Log region size".  Mine is set to 96K, which is higher than the
   documented default of 60K, so I assume it's increased automatically.
 o Create a /var/lib/imap/db/DB_CONFIG file
 o Put in it an entry like: "set_lg_regionmax 262144" (this sets it to
   256K)
 o I think you need to run 'db_recover' after this; at least, with the
   BDB backend for Subversion you have to run 'svnadmin recover' after
   changing it.  I think Cyrus should be shutdown when you run
   db_recover.

Unfortunately, the documentation for BDB is written for programmers, not
sys admins, and unless you've spent much time looking at the rest of the
docs, it can be pretty impenetrable.  Oddly enough, the sample DB_CONFIG
files that Subversion and OpenLDAP ship with and their docs seem to be
the best resources I've found.

http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=1072

(Search down to "Write the DB_CONFIG file")
http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_base/fs.c?revision=19410&view=markup

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>