What exactly *IS* the status of 2GB quotas? [WAS Re: ****Re: Odd quota problem]

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 9 11:36:41 EDT 2006

--On Saturday, August 05, 2006 6:55 PM +0200 Simon Matter <simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com> wrote:
Okay, I would like to hear specifically from Ken on this one...

I asked the question myself and go an answer suggesting the limit is not 2GB,
but 2TB.  I saw a posting from Ken earlier on suggesting something similar.

In a nutshell, it looks like we can set quotas to any size (even larger than
4GB) because the quote limit is defined in Kilobytes and note bytes.  However,
the real problem is the tracking of the actual space used by the user, which
is done in bytes... so, even though you can set the quota larger, the 2GB
limit still gets hit because the actual usage counter overflows.  Is this how
it really is, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

There also seem to be some third-party patches out there (Simon, etc) that
implement a "large quota patch", which gets around this problem.  It looks
like it is actually a 64-bit quota patch, which allows Cyrus to track how
much disk space is used to greater than 4GB.  Again, am I interpreting this
correctly?

So, to wrap up this discussion once and for all:

  What is the actual quota limitation for Cyrus 2.2 and for Cyrus 2.3?
        (are they different? did the third party patches make it into
         the 2.3 versions of Cyrus?)

  Does the large quota patch require a 64-bit machine/os in order to permit
    quotas larger than 2GB?

Thanks,
Scott