sendmail or cyrus question... not sure

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Aug 2 03:15:03 EDT 2006

Hi,

--On 1. August 2006 17:48:20 -0400 Chris Mattingly <chris at camattin.com>
wrote:

> Please send me over to a sendmail list if this question would be better
> suited over there, but I'm hoping to get some help here. :)
>
> I'm using sendmail 8.13.1 & cyrus 2.2.12.  In my sendmail config, I have
> set cyrusv2 as my LOCAL_MAILER.  What's happening is that mail for any
> recipient is being accepted by the MTA, failing the lmtp delivery as a
> non-existent user, then bouncing back to me (postmaster).
>
> What's the cleanest way around this problem?  Obviously, the solution I'd
> like is for invalid recipients to get blocked at the "RCPT TO" command.

we use virtusertables for that. The setup goes like this:

sendmail.mc:
FEATURE(virtusertable)dnl
VIRTUSER_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/virtualdomains')dnl

Then you add all your domains in /etc/mail/virtualdomains (instead of
/etc/mail/local-host-names) and put all your users in
/etc/mail/virtusertable:

user at domain	user

At the the end you put something like this:

@domain   error:5.1.1:550 User unknown

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK