High availability email server...

Daniel Eckl deckl at nero.com
Tue Aug 1 17:49:40 EDT 2006

Well, I don't have cluster knowledge, and so of course I simply believe
you that a good cluster system will never have file locking problems.
I already stated this below!

But how will the cluster affect application level database locking? That
was my primary question and you didn't name this at all.

A database file which is in use is practically always inconsistent until
it's being closed by the database application.

That's why databases can be corrupt after an application crash and have
to be reconstructed.

When you have two applications changing the same database file, you have
a never ending fight, because every application thinks, the database is
inconsistent, but it's just in use by another application. And every app
will try to reconstruct it and so break it for the other app(s).

It's like letting two cyrus master run on the same single node! It will
break in my opinion.

Can you shed some light on this subject?

Best,
Daniel