Cyrus Murder SASL Authentication Problem

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Sun Apr 30 10:56:04 EDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Xue, Chongjie "Jack" wrote:

> Andy, According to your suggestion, my IMAP login is working now. I can
> now connect imap clients through my frontend servers to access mail
> boxes in the backend node.
>
> However, I still _failed_ to deliver mail via Postfix LMTP through Cyrus
> LMTPProxy running on the frontends to my cyrus-imap backend server:
>
> [Log Message in my frontend Server (mail.sb.marshall.edu)]
> lmtp[22156]: couldn't authenticate to backend server: no mechanism
> available
> postfix/qmgr[12870]: 232871D0012: from=<nahant-list-bounces at redhat.com>,
> size=3881, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> postfix/lmtp[22309]: 1EB811D0013: to=<xxxx at sb.marshall.edu>,
> relay=/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=-940,
> status=deferred (host
> /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 451 4.4.3
> Remote server unavailable (in reply to end of DATA command))
>
> [Log Message in my backend Server]
> mailbox1 lmtp[31162]: accepted connection
> mailbox1 lmtp[31162]: connection from mail.sb.marshall.edu
> [10.101.4.251] preauth'd as postman
>
> I found there is NO such user named "postman" on my backend server. But
> Cyrus LMTPd authenticated the frontend LMTPProxyd as this user.

I ran into this problem too.  In my standalone Cyrus config, I was using
"lmtpd -a" (preauth).  When I tried to setup Murder, I couldn't make
preauth work with lmtpproxyd.  I had to turn off preauth on the backend
server and configure Postfix to use lmtp auth when it connected to the
frontend server.  I actually posted this to the list about a week ago, but
here is what I did:

In postfix's main.cf:

lmtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
lmtp_sasl_password_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/lmtp_passwd
lmtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous

In /etc/postfix/lmtp_passwd:

cyrus-fe1.onid.oregonstate.edu cyr_lmtp:password

In imapd.conf on the frontend server:

lmtp_admins: cyr_lmtp
proxy_authname: cyr_proxy

In imapd.conf on the backend server: