SAN based storage

John Wade jwade at oakton.edu
Wed Apr 19 13:47:26 EDT 2006

We run cyrus on RedHat on a CX600.  For our administrative users, we put
the whole thing on a nine disk fibre channel RAIDgroup, split into 6
luns, 5 for mail spool partitions and 1 for all the other metadata.
Total mail spool size is 300GB.   We average about 300 concurrent
users.   The CX600 is heavily used by other applications.       I/O
performance has never been an issue as far as I can tell.   The large
write caches in the CX600 solve the write problem and the host memory
caching seems to solve the read problem.    Your mileage may vary.     We
couldn't do a direct cyrus  SAN performance comparision because when we
moved to this box, we migrated to the SAN and new server hardware at the
same time,  but tests on other systems where we just moved storage on to
the array saw a huge performance boost vs. locally attached SCSI RAID 5
storage with no write cache enabled.

Hope this helps,
John Wade
Oakton Community College