does xfer require murder?

Perry Brown vbperry at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:31:59 EDT 2006

I set up imapd.conf how I think it should be and restarted cyrus (even
rebooted hosts). I log into the source server cyradm:
sudo cyradm --user cyrus --server server1.sub1.domain.amazon.com --auth
plain

Run the xfer
server1.sub1.domain.com> xfer user.vbperry server2.sub2.domain.com

And get:
xfermailbox: Server(s) unavailable to complete operation

This is in log on source:
Apr 14 15:08:15 server1 imap[3434]: couldn't authenticate to backend server:
generic failure
Apr 14 15:08:15 server1 imap[3434]: Could not move mailbox: user.vbperry,
Initial backend connect failed

This is on destination server:
Apr 14 15:08:15 server2 imap[3022]: accepted connection
Apr 14 15:08:15 server2 master[3125]: about to exec
/opt/mail/cyrus-imapd/bin/imapd
Apr 14 15:08:15 server2 imap[3125]: executed

This is what the imapd.conf looks like on both servers.
defaultpartition: imap1
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-imap1: /var/spool/imap1
admins: cyrus support
srvtab: /var/imap/srvtab
quotawarn: 85
popminpoll: 0
autocreatequota: 30000
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure: 1
allowusermoves: yes
proxy_authname: cyrus
proxy_password: password

The systems are in different subdomains sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com
and when I tried to do the hostname_password option it did not like dot's in
the name so I did short names and added the sub#.domain.com to the
resolv.conf so each host could ping by short name. I still got the error
from above so I changed the imapd.conf entry servername_password to
proxy_password since the cyrus account has the same password on both servers
and still got the error above.

Any ideas what I am missing?

Thank you
Perry