webmail+kerberos+cyrus imapd

Nikola Milutinovic alokin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 15:18:19 EDT 2006

--- Jeffrey T Eaton <jeaton at cmu.edu> wrote:

> > My curus-imapd authenticates using gssapi kerberos5.
> > Is there a webmail system that authenticates users to the cyrus-imapd
> > using kerberos5?
> > Maybe through pubcookie?
> > I cannot find any directions..
>
> At CMU, we are using a slightly modiffied version of SquirrelMail
> which uses pubcookie with kerberos ticket passing for authentication.
> On the webmail server, instead of letting PHP make the connection to
> Cyrus, we instead fork a copy of imtest (which authenticates using the
> passed tickets).  Then SquirrelMail sends its IMAP commands over
> the connection opened by imtest.

Has anyone considered a full Kerberos approach? Oops! Can it be done?

I mean, a web browser authenticating via SPNEGO/GSSAPI and that ticket being
used for IMAP. I have a feeling that it cannot be done since the client tickets
are not compatible. Different services. One is HTTP/server.domain.com at REALM and
the other is IMAP/server.domain.com at REALM. That is not transferable, right?

Nix.