How can I restore the "\Seen" state from backup?

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 10 08:48:27 EDT 2006

Ciprian Vizitiu wrote:
> Oh God, Patrick if you know the magic incantation please say it. I haven't
> been able to convince Cyrus to recognize a new mail folder restored from
> back-up other than exporting the mailbox.db into text editing it and
> reimporting the db. Can I do this without stopping Cyrus? :-o

I do this to restore a mailbox while cyrus is running. While I'm not
certain it is needed, I also prevent the user from logging in during
this process. I don't bother to stop incoming mail delivery though.

1) Make sure the top level mailbox exists in mailboxes.db. If it doesn't
then use cyradm to create the top level mailbox first.

2) Restore the files and copy them into the mailbox.

3) Run reconstruct -rf user.accountname and wait.

Also, see Simon Matter's RPM for some handy scripts that run from cron.
These scripts will help keep your mailboxes.db file backed up. The
default RPM install has them running daily but you can run them on any
other schedule you like, of course.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center, System Admin