Virtual domains and user@domain1.com and user@domain2.com

Ciprian Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Sat Apr 8 05:50:10 EDT 2006

> I have TWO joes(s) in TWO different domains but they "live on the same
> IMAP box... Because I'm using Cyrus IMAP the users mailboxes aren't
> mapped to system accounts so Postfix just passes any mail to unknown
> "non-system accounts" on to Cyrus for delivery. So the question
> becomes how do I enable such a setup so that Cyrus will deliver the
> mail to the correct mailbox?

OK you had one Joe on one domain and he was receiving mail fine.  You added
another Joe to another domain and now all mail goes to one of the Joes.  It
sounds like as Ciprian said it is an MTA issue.  Postfix is stripping the
FQDN before passing mail on to Cyrus.

Since he said that users to not exist as users on the underlying machine to
me it looks like "virtual" and/or "virtual_mailbox" in Postfix. Simply
create a different joe say joesmith as a mbox on Cyrus and split delivery in
Postfix via "virtual_mailbox" mechanism. But then obviously I'm no Cyrus
guru, most likely it can also be done in a "pure Cyrus way".