Virtual domains and user@domain1.com and user@domain2.com

Jim Norton jimnorton at jimnorton.org
Fri Apr 7 11:57:55 EDT 2006

Quoting Ciprian Vizitiu <cvizitiu at gbif.org>:

> It doesn't seem like Cyrus related but a MTA one.
>
> Anyway the question is (I think): do you have ONE Joe with ONE IMAP box and
> he should be able to receive mail on TWO domains? Or what you really have is
> TWO Joe(s) in TWO different domains but so it happens that they "live" on
> the same IMAP box?

I have TWO joes(s) in TWO different domains but they "live on the same
IMAP box... Because I'm using Cyrus IMAP the users mailboxes aren't
mapped to system accounts so Postfix just passes any mail to unknown
"non-system accounts" on to Cyrus for delivery. So the question becomes
how do I enable such a setup so that Cyrus will deliver the mail to the
correct mailbox?

>> I do not use postfix but...
>>
>> I am using cyrus-imapd version 2.2.12 and sasl 2.1.19
>>
>> If you have managed to get mailboxes in different domains you
>> should not have problems with users of the same name.
>>
>> You will need to implement loginrealms (see man imapd.conf) for more.
>>
>> Jim Norton wrote:
>>
>> > Ok,
>> >
>> > I've done a lot of googling etc and haven't really found concise
>> > answers to my questions.. So hopefully somebody here can
>> help me out.
>> >
>> > I've been running Cyrus IMAP with Cyrus SASL and Postfix for a few
>> > years now and have been making sure that the same username such as
>> > "joe" is only used in one virtual domain because I've not
>> been able to
>> > figure out how to create two mailboxes such as
>> joe at domain-one.com and
>> > joe at domain-two.com.
>> >
>> > So what version of Cyrus IMAP and Cyrus SASL support such a
>> setup and
>> > how do I configure and create mailboxes like that? And how
>> does this
>> > work with authentication through Cyrus SASL?
>> >
>> > I'm not a super advanced Cyrus IMAP/SASL admin so the more
>> detail that
>> > can be provided the better... :-)
>> >
>> > Thanks all,
>>

>> ----
>> Cyrus Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus Cyrus Wiki/FAQ:
>>

> ----

Jim Norton - http://www.jamesnortonphotography.com

"I cannot copy nature in a servile way. I must interpret nature and
submit it to
the spirit of the picture" - Henri Matisse