High-Availability IMAP server

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 28 13:45:20 EDT 2005

David Carter wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, brad wrote:
>
>> I read the documentation on replication and am interested in trying
>> it. I have several servers that run a single domain, but are using
>> virtdomain anyway.  I would like to have one virtdomain replica server
>> that serves as a hot spare to all of these servers.  In other words
>> server A would replicate domain A mailboxes to the replica and server
>> B would replicate domain B to the replica.  If server A fails then I
>> could bring up the replica server for domain A but not domain B (just
>> by not pointing domain B to the replica server).  Is this possible?
>

> We typically run with half the accounts on a given server as masters and
> the other half as replicas to reduce fallout from a single server failing.
>
> We don't use virtual domains. I'm afraid I don't know if the code in 2.3
> supports virtual domains. Ken?

I haven't tried it, but I've done nothing to purposely break replication
of virtdomains.

Note that the code in CVS does NOT yet allow load balancing the
mailboxes across servers as David's does.  Shared mailboxes makes this a
more difficult nut to crack.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127