High-Availability IMAP server

David info-cyrus at mantxado.com
Mon Sep 26 12:45:31 EDT 2005

Hello,

I have a 'pseudo' High Availability SMTP system consisting in two servers
running cyrus 2.2.5.

The main problem I have is that only one of the two nodes can access to the
mailboxes in order to keep the integrity of the cyrus databases despite the
filesystem (GFS) has support to allow to two different servers access in R/W
mode.

I've read about cyrus-murder which allows to distribute mailboxes along
different servers but if the server that has the mailbox for user at domain.com
goes offline, this mailbox is not available.

With maildir/mailbox format, there is no additional integrity mechanism so any
server with R/W access to the filesystem can provide the mailbox via
POP3/IMAP, etc.

Is there any way to achieve this goal using cyrus? Which is the best approach
to this scenario? Run daily imapsync via cron and a Load Balancer forward the
requests to the active one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
David