Solaris to Linux move

Huaqing Zheng huasome at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 17:27:50 EDT 2005

On 9/20/05, Scott <scott at globaleworks.com> wrote:
> Right now I have a Sun box that has been running Cyrus for about 4
> years.  The box has 8 Sparc v9 @ 400MHz and 6GB of memory.  About 2
> years ago we put all of the mail queue, DB, seen and sub files onto a
> 2GB solid state drive.  This setup has been running fine, supporting
> about 20K webmail users.  The mail store is on a NetApp that has a 1TB
> LUN direct FC connection.

I just did a similar migration at work myself.  I assume you are
planning on using Linux instead of Solaris x86.  I did not run into
major gotchas though getting the software to work will largely depend
on distribution and whether you are building the software yourself.

If you are running into a lot of I/O wait issues, I'd recommend
getting a faster mail store.  Also, I'd recommend breaking up the
server into multiple servers.  I'm averaging about 5000 accounts per
dual processor Dell 1850 with 4 GB of RAM each with a Nexsan ATABeast
as the storage per four servers.  Your mileage may vary depending on
your user base and their habits.

--
Huaqing Zheng
Beer and Code Wrangler at Large