Tutorial on how to backup/restore cyrus

Huaqing Zheng huasome at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 08:24:19 EDT 2005

On 9/19/05, lkolchin at univ.haifa.ac.il <lkolchin at univ.haifa.ac.il> wrote:

> Hello again.
>
> Is it really no one on the list can suggest me some backup/restore howto for
> Cyrus mailboxes?
> I believe that there are some guys on the list who can help.
>
> So please be so nice to answer me.

I think anyone who runs a large cyrus installation has written scripts
and procedures on how to backup and restore cyrus mailboxes and
servers.  I've certainly written my share.  However, a
lot of this depends on your backup mechanism.  How do you plan on
backing up your cyrus mailboxes?  Are you NAS/SAN snapshots?  Tivoli?
rsync-backup?  You need to provide more details before we can help
you.

Restoring a mailbox is trivial.  You just restore the entire mailbox
to a subfolder called in the primary mailbox and then run reconstruct
-r -f on the mailbox.  That'll autodiscover the
restored mailbox and provide the user with a way to get messages back.

--
Huaqing Zheng
Beer and Code Wrangler at Large