Hiding Banner

Timo Schoeler timo.schoeler at macfinity.net
Wed Sep 14 07:09:20 EDT 2005

>>          I am new to cyrus. I have manage to installed cyrus-imapd
>>2.2.12-9 on FC1. For security reasons, i need to change the Banner of
>>cyrus-imapd server. When i do telnet localhost 110 , i gets * OK
>>netserv Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-9 server ready, how can
>>i change it as per my requirement??? I am having source rpm with me.
>>Can any body help me out ???
>

>>Amod Sutavane.
>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=security+by+obscurity&btnG=Google+Search
>
> Better keep your system secure

yes.

> then trying to camouflage.

nope. a combination of both :)

imagine running production systems, a bug in the current stable is
discovered but (as you run production systems) you're not able to
upgrade them within a few minutes and in the mid of a week.

hiding the daemon from a possible intruder is /very/ nice in this case.

not everybody is willing to run beta software/bleeding edge early
adopter's stuff on a PeeCee w/o redundant PSUs/HDs/etc. w/o ECC
connected to an ADSL line. however, there's a lot of people willing to
do so. but that's not a sign for the best solution (TM).

> Btw. you are running an EOL (end of lifetime) Linux distribution
> release. Think about that.
>
> Alexander

cheers,

timo