Hiding Banner

Timo Schoeler timo.schoeler at macfinity.net
Wed Sep 14 06:03:53 EDT 2005

hi,

> Dear All ,
>
>           I am new to cyrus. I have manage to installed cyrus-imapd
> 2.2.12-9 on FC1. For security reasons, i need to change the Banner of
> cyrus-imapd server. When i do telnet localhost 110 , i gets * OK netserv
> Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-9 server ready, how can i change
> it as per my requirement??? I am having source rpm with me. Can any body
> help me out ???
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> Amod Sutavane.

this is a very good question :)

interestingly, e.g. my postfix doesn't say that's a postfix (banner
changed, of course ;) -- but when nmap'ing that machine (or any other
running postfix w/changed banner) then it gets fingerprinted correctly
and is displayed as postfix...

so even w/o a (correct) banner some tools are able to get enough
information on the service to identify it correctly.

a solution might be to work with some wrappers, altho i never digged
further into it.

anyone?

cheers,

timo